Easysoft XML-ODBC Server Windows Getting Started Guide
This guide will lead you through the download, installation and licensing of the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server.
At the end you will be able to access your ODBC data source using a sample client application supplied and create your own applications using the development tool of your choice.
The process will take approximately 10-15 minutes, excluding software download time.
The instructions for the Windows installation of the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server are quite specific. For installation details on any alternative platforms please refer to the product manual (HTML or PDF).
- The Easysoft XML-ODBC Server is to be installed on a Windows NT/2000/XP system for which you have administrative privileges.
- You already have a System Data Source configured on your Windows system and know the user name and password.
- You have unrestricted access to the Internet in order to complete the licensing part of the installation routine. If you are NOT online, you can get a license from Easysoft by telephone or email. Full details can be found in the Easysoft Licensing documentation (HTML or PDF).
The process is in four steps:
- Download the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server software.
- Install and configure the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server.
- Access your data source using the sample client application provided.
Step 1. Login
- Login. If you have not yet done so, you need to register first. On the registration form, an asterisk (*) indicates that a field is mandatory.
Step 2. Download the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server software
- Select Download from the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server section of the website.
- On the Download page, choose Windows x86 as the platform and click download.
- Follow your browser instructions to save the distribution file to a temporary directory on the target platform.
Step 3. Install and configure the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server
- Ensuring that you are still logged in as the Administrator on your Windows system, change into the directory where the distribution was saved.
- Run through the install procedure by double-clicking on the distribution file icon and answering the questions as appropriate for your requirements.
At the end of the install you will have installed and licensed the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server, which will be running as a Windows service.
Step 4. Access your data sources
- This example uses the sample C client application included with the distribution.
You will need the following details:
- Host: The server name or IP address of the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server host.
- Port: The port number configured for the server, by default
- DSN: The name of the ODBC data source you need to access.
- UID: The database user name.
- PWD: The database password.
- SQL: The SQL command you wish to execute.
- Open a command window and (assuming that you selected the default install directory) change into:
\Program Files\Easysoft\XML-ODBC Server\Clients\C
- Run the program
xmlodbc_client.exewith the following command:
xmlodbc_client.exe -h host -p port -c "DSN=DSN;UID=UID;PWD=PWD;" -s "SQL;"
If successful the server response will be displayed as XML in the command window.
- You are now ready to access the Easysoft XML-ODBC Server from your own applications. The
\Program Files\Easysoft\XML-ODBC Server\Clientsdirectory contains sample applications which you can use as a starting point.